Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Wandering Barista Writing Process

I had originally intended on writing about the local food truck, Gorilla Gourmet. But, last minute, the owner called me and told me he was too busy to interview before our deadline because he was prepping for a wedding...so then I was going to do the Christian auto detailing/women's clothing shop off Westnedge, but they were closed. Then I went to Velvet Touch off West Main, and the owners declined interviewing because they wanted to maintain their privacy. Then I went to the Glass Onion and that owner never called me back...I also went to the recording studio off Westnedge and that owner never called me back. At this point, if I didn't start interviewing, there would be no way I could write my first draft in time. Later, I ended up at Fourth Coast doing some homework....Phil was the barista working that night. I had always found Phil interesting because he maintains such a steady demeanor all the time. No matter what-- he never cracks. He agreed to interviewing, and in a short period of time, I've spent a lot of time talking to Phil. A guy who normally doesn't talk. 

For my last profile, my subject talked without prodding. Phil needs a bit more encouragement....it definitely took some time before he opened up and shared stories without me directly asking for them. But, all in all, Phil ended up being pretty easy to talk to. I think what's most interesting for me while writing about Phil is thinking about how many people in our daily lives we interact with but we know nothing about. How many people get coffee from Phil four or five times a week and, if asked, couldn't say what color his eyes are? I find this to be a common theme when I serve tables as well-- a great deal of people don't even know what their server looks like, nonetheless his/her name. 

Phil is a complex guy....he's comfortable with where he is in life, but he feels awkward a lot of the time...There are a lot of layers to him that I don't know if I conveyed as well as I could. In terms of feedback, I mostly would like to know how well the reader feels he/she gets an idea of what Phil is like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment