Monday, June 3, 2013

The Wandering Barista


Intended Publication: The Index

Phil is elbow deep in ice cream when a customer tells him he’s leaving an extra dollar for tip. Phil is making a mocha shake—his least favorite order. 
“Thank you much,” Phil says over his left shoulder.
“Whad’ya say?”
“Thank you,” Phil says while straightening up, “I said thank you much.”
Phil Cowley has to repeat himself often. Customers at Fourth Coast Cafe have a hard time hearing him over the constant hum of peripheral conversation, espresso machines, and music. “I guess I’m a low talker. But I hear myself just fine,” Phil says.
In addition to his low voice, Phil has quite the poker face. His slightly pronounced jaw, tight lips, and hard blue eyes do not leave room for many emotions other than sternness. His co-worker, Joey says, “I’ve know him for a long time, but I don’t know him well.”
Phil may also be hard to get to know because of his innate restlessness. Since age seventeen, he’s been on the move. He’s lived in Washington D.C., Chicago, Fort Knox, Kentucky, Savannah, Georgia, Alexandria, Virginia, and Costa Rica. His favorite place was Savannah, Georgia because of people’s friendliness, its Southern charm, the architecture, and the flowers. Phil thinks people down South are more open-minded than people in the Midwest and describes Savannah with uncharacteristic warmth in his voice.
Phil chalks up his transience to having gypsy blood. He even recently turned in an application to be a flight attendant because of the free travel. But Joey doesn’t think Phil would be a good flight attendant simply because, “it’s Phil.” With his typical candor, Phil agrees with Joey and acknowledges that he isn’t good at faking interactions.
If flight attendant doesn’t work out, however, Phil also wants to be a Bollywood actor. “They’re pumping out two or three thousand films a year,” he says. He thinks he could play the American villain, and explains, “I don’t even need to be a good actor for that. I ‘ve already got a pretty mean looking face.”
            Undeniably, after one and half years at Fourth Coast, Phil is ready to leave. He says, “I’m looking for other shit. I’m getting really tired of this job. I’ve been in customer service too long.”
During one of his late night shifts, his best friend and roommate, Josh, comes in to pay a drunken visit. “Do you want to cover the rest of my shift?” Phil asks.
            “Fuck no, man,” Josh yells back.
            Josh walks outside and turns to leave for a rooftop party that’s going on next door, but not before flashing a piece of his chest.
            Phil smiles, “That was for me.”
            Phil has lived with Josh for three years—the longest amount of time he’s lived with anyone besides family. He explains that they get along so well because they’re cut from the same cloth. “I guess that must make me a narcissist,” Phil jokes with a straight face.
            Josh returns from the rooftop party and Phil decides to go outside to take a smoke break with him—one of the several he takes throughout his shift. He removes an American Spirit cigarette from a silver case and tucks it behind his right ear, an action he has to perform if a customer comes in before he gets a chance to leave.  
            About fifteen years ago, Phil started smoking cigarettes at fifteen years old, which was relatively late considering he smoked his first joint at age nine and his first blunt at age eleven with his older sister. Phil’s “hippie dad” smoked pot while he was growing up, but refused to smoke with Phil until he was around eighteen.  
Phil’s parents incorporated their open mindedness in different ways, however. For Phil’s first Halloween, he was dressed up as a cop with a pig mask. He says he didn’t understand the significance of the costume until years later, but now finds it funny. Phil was also raised as a Buddhist. Today, he’s strictly agnostic though, saying, “I don’t think there’s any way to know...I just can’t bring myself to believe.” But, he still appreciates Buddhism as a type of guidance in his everyday choices.
Phil relies on his ability to talk himself out of sticky situations, too. He grew up in a tough neighborhood where robberies were common, and his dad taught him if he wasn’t immediately attacked, the perpetrator didn’t mean business. He learned how to bluff muggers and claims he only got beaten up once because of it.
Phil uses the same type of calm rationality when dealing with his intoxicated friend, Elton, during his late night shift. Elton wants to get into a fight because someone doesn’t like his hat. Phil looks at Elton and without a rise in his voice explains, “He’s probably still not going to like your hat after you throw a couple punches.” Elton begrudgingly accepts that Phil is right and decides to just smoke another cigarette instead.
Phil’s history of banding up against bullies goes back to kindergarten, where he initially bonded with his childhood best friend, Larry Brooks, over a common enemy. The class bully crushed a snail, and Larry and Phil cried together over its brutal death. All Phil remembers is that he and Larry tried to set the bully straight, and someone got punched in the stomach and someone else got kicked in the face. He smiles as he recalls his friendship with Larry, and thinks out loud, “I always wondered what happened to him.”
It is mid afternoon, and Phil is outside smoking a cigarette. He’s got three hours left in his shift, and he’s getting agitated, “Time is dragging by today. It sucks.” He doesn’t stay outside for long though because his baby blue polyester pants are making him sweat in the humid weather.  After a short conversation with a prep cook from the restaurant above Fourth Coast, Phil returns behind the counter. He seems troubled, and looks towards the door as he talks, “Everything is made to be temporary so we can make more.” He wipes the same spot on the counter as he did a few minutes ago, and slowly looks up, “I don’t hate it here, but I definitely am ready to leave.” 

6 comments:

  1. I KNOW THIS GUY. You got him dead on, Paula. He's made me drinks a couple of times and it is so funny and perfect how you describe him. I have this thing where I notice 'bitter-faces,' people who just look sort of pissed all the time, and he's one of them.

    You did a great job with the descriptive moments—love the cigarette out of the silver case behind the ear bit, classic—the description of his face and jaw especially.

    One thing I noticed you doing consistently is starting sentences and paragraphs with Phil. I think this is funny and helps move the story, but I think pushing it further or toning it back a lot. It reminds me of the Fight Club thing, the "Jack's ________" thing. It adds to his pretentious, hipster-y-ness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paula,

    Reading your process writing made me really excited to read your piece. Sorry to hear about all the failed interview attempts, but I definitely think there’s something here with Phil. You did an excellent job finding out about his past, and showing how his childhood/growing up has made him the kind of person he is today. I think that capturing him in action with his friends, and letting his rationality comes through was great.

    Your description of Paul was excellent, but I think you should definitely bring in his age sooner. In the smoking scene you hint he’s around 30, so just mention it earlier -- that way he’s easier to visualize. Also, the piece left me wanting to know more about his life now. I feel like you provided readers with a lot of background, but I want to know why he’s in Kalamazoo. He’s been everywhere, so why here of all places? How long has he been at Fourth Coast?

    I think that the piece works as is, but I had an idea after I read the piece -- maybe it would work and maybe it wouldn’t. Anyway, I remembered that you mentioned that Phil gave you a free drink when you were pulling an all-nighter. It may be interesting to write this article in the first person and include kind of your experience with him, as an avid customer of the place. You mention in your process writing: “I think what's most interesting for me while writing about Phil is thinking about how many people in our daily lives we interact with but we know nothing about. How many people get coffee from Phil four or five times a week and, if asked, couldn't say what color his eyes are?” This statement is so true and so relevant to society today. I think it could also tie in to you as a character in the piece/the first person narrative. This isn’t the most focused/helpful suggestion, so I apologize, but it could be an interesting way to frame the profile.

    Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did a good job of describing Phil and I felt I had a good understanding for who he is after completing your piece. You did a great job capturing detail and I could tell you spent a lot of time there. I was also wondering why he was in Kalamazoo? What drives him to new places and how does he choose? I'm also interested in where he wants to go next? I would think that someone who travels so much would at least have ideas about the next stop. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought that this was an interesting profile of an interesting guy. Your physical descriptions of him and his restlessness helped to really draw me into this piece. One part I really loved was when you talked about him having "an uncharacteristic warmth to his voice" when talking about Savannah. The small things like that add up to a well rounded picture.

    I would like to learn more about why he's traveled around so much and what brought him to Kalamazoo of all places. I found his childhood to be interesting, but learning about why he has moved around so much would help to add depth to this profile. Overall, great job, and a really cool piece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh. Great portrayal. Honestly, I don't know if I have any serious criticisms at the moment. There's a great blend of quips from him as well as his interactions with others, including friends and customers. I will read it over again before class to see if I have any legitimate criticisms, but at the moment, I got nothin'. Fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paula,

    I can't decide if I like Paul or hate him. He seems a bit pretentious to be honest, but he certainly falls into that nomadic hipster stereotype that we see a lot here in Kalamazoo. With that said, you insert just the right conversations and descriptions to create that complex character on the page. Great job.

    Right now, this reads like a story about someone who just hates his place in life, and I think with some more reporting you can go a little deeper in order to speak to a larger issue or speak to more of his character. We understand how his past impacts how he lives right now, but I still wonder why he's got this urge to be moving constantly. He's really fascinating!

    ReplyDelete