Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Profile Writing Reflection



I was worried about writing this piece because I could only do one interview with David. I had wanted to interview him at least one more time (preferably in his studio) and also interview Rose, but with their family issues, there was no possible way for them to meet again. I didn’t choose a different subject, however, because I felt I still could paint a pretty good picture of what David is like. Plus, David is so likeable that I grew too fond of him to abandon him. I feel like that could be breaking some journalist code or something, but I can’t do anything about it now.

I had to leave out a good portion of what David and I talked about because it didn’t fit in with the overall flow of the story. I probably have about two pages of notes solely on his political views (which are all very interesting). I’m still playing around in my head if I’m going to incorporate more of those viewpoints in my later drafts, but I haven’t quite decided if they’re necessary. We’ll see.

Overall, I was very intimidated in writing this type of piece. I wanted to do David justice, but I wanted to do it in a natural way. I learned that I need to go over my notes much sooner than I did—I had trouble remembering the context of some of the things David said, especially because I chose not to use a recorder. Also, I felt weird including myself in the piece...but I think it made sense with the story. Well, I hope it did, at least. If not, I’ve already thought about cutting myself out during the later editing process.

Profiles are fun, but I think I underestimated how consuming they are! Not just in terms of time, but also in any aspect you can apply the word. I think to write a really good profile, a journalist needs to throw him/herself completely into it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment